Dilip Vengsarkar, Pragyan Ojha win key positions in ICA elections
Dilip Vengsarkar and Pragyan Ojha have won key positions in the Indian Cricketers Association (ICA) election which concluded on Saturday (October 29). The two have been elected as the ICA representatives to the Apex Council of the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) and Governing Council of the Indian Premier League (IPL) respectively. The three-day e-voting of the association ended on Saturday and the results were announced in the evening.
Vengsarkar beat outgoing ICA president Ashok Malhotra virtually by a landslide margin of 172 votes, having polled 402 votes to 230 for the vanquished.
“I am thankful to all the former cricketers for reposing their faith in me. I will strive hard for their welfare and will ensure a close and strong relationship between former players and the BCCI,” Vengsarkar (66), who played 116 Tests, told Cricbuzz. He was also a member of the 1983 World Cup winning side.
Vengsarkar replaces Anshuman Gaekwad, who had been the ICA representative to the Apex Council for the previous three years. As per the BCCI constitution, the Apex Council has to have representatives from men and women cricketers. Shubhangi Dattatraya Kulkarni will be the woman representative, having replaced Shantha Rangasawamy in the council; the all-powerful decision making body of the BCCI.
Ojha (36), a former India spinner and a sitting member of the IPL Governing Council, beat former Hyderabad batsman Vijay Mohan Raj by 162 votes (396-234). The ICA, a body of former cricketers, has 1602 members.
“I look forward to the new term with a lot of positives and add more value and do justice to the faith shown by our fraternity,” Ojha told this website.
Important positions of ICA
- President & Director – Aunshuman Gaekwad
- Secretary & Director – Hitesh Majumdar
- Treasurer & Director – V Krishnaswamy
- Member Representative & Director – Shantha Rangasawamy
- Member Representative & Director – Yajurvindra Singh Bilkha
- ICA Male Representative to BCCI Apex Council – Dilip Balwant Vengsarkar
- ICA Female Representative to BCCI Apex Council – Shubhangi Dattatraya Kulkarni
- ICA Representative to IPL Governing Council – Pragyan Ojha